Saturday, November 6, 2010

Socks of The Apocalypse

I don't have hobbies. I have a post apocalyptic skill set. Now that skill set includes sock knitting! And it took the apocalypse to make me finish the hideous things.


Last year I decided to try knitting socks. I had knitted all kinds of garments and accessories before and while I didn't doubt that I had the ability to knit socks, I didn't want to "waste' any of my beautiful hand dyed sock yarns on my first pair. So I picked up some cheap Moda Vera Noir, in what turned out to be a pretty poxy colourway and got started. That was 18 months ago. The pattern was easy, Wise Hilda's Basic Ribbed Socks. The yarn was ugly, it took me weeks to finish the first sock because I just didn't enjoy knitting the ugly. I had heard that casting on the second sock right away is the best way to avoid the dreaded second sock syndrome, so I did that. It didn't work. I wanted to knit pretty things so I put the ugly socks away.

Recently Darron and I were discussing my post apocalyptic skills. We came to the conclusion that in a post apocalyptic world (zombie infested or otherwise) socks would be pretty high on our list of must haves, as well as being really useful for trade. Yes, we think about these things! So I sucked it up and finished the sock. And they're comfy, they fit perfectly, are lovely and cozy and are still hideous.
Now that I have knocked over my first pair I can't wait to start the next pair. You can't be too prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment