Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Birds!


I have had this pattern for a while now, I can't remember exactly where it came from. It might have been a thrift score, or it may have been in the case of patterns Mum got at a garage sale a couple of years ago. Either way, it's cute! I especially love view B with its off centre buttons, which is lucky really, because that is the only pattern in the envelope! Even the instructions were missing.

I had some nice rich purple cotton in stash that would be perfect, and just as I was thinking that I would need to go shopping for some contrasting fabric for the trim, I stumbled into my fat 1/4s and came up with the birds! Perfect match!

I actually went shopping for buttons on my lunch break on Monday, and was sorely disappointed in the range of buttons at the only shop that stocks them within lunch time travel distance! Luckily Mum has a pretty spectacular button collection, including these perfect vintage purple ones!


I'm pretty happy with the result, it works with my trusty charcoal pencil skirt, as well as with my jeans. I'm not satisfied with the bust darts, they're a little crooked and when I up-sized the pattern I made them too long, next time they will be a good 5cm shorter. Other than that, the fit is pretty good. Comfy, and easy to move in. The plan was for something suitable for work that would still be comfortable and casual if required. It fits the bill nicely, and should get a fair wearing. And the birds! I love the tiny birds!

3 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! It's incredibly flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, it looks great & you managed it without instruction. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete