Friday, December 27, 2013

Outfit Eleven: December

Wow!  I can't believe I only have one outfit left to make and I will have finished 12 outfits in 12 months!

This outfit was a bit of a trouble maker!  I had decided on a particular skirt in a particular fabric right at the very beginning of this adventure, only to have it turn out unwearable because the stripes strobe and give me a blaring headache.  As luck would have it, the search for a replacement skirt that would also fit into my summer capsule wardrobe brought me to a pattern I had traced last year and forgotten about.  So here it is:


The skirt is stretch drill I bought several years ago.  I had about a million metres of it and recently used some for a little 'off plan' sewing so it was sitting out and I noticed that it was the right colour for my summer wardrobe.  It was that fabric decision that brought me to the pattern, Burda 05/2012 118.  


I didn't make the skirt quite as short as the pattern, and I left off the back welt pockets.


I love the a-line shape from the back and pleated fullness at the front.  Since making Darron's trousers  I've become far more comfortable sewing a zip fly.  It's lovely to be able to ignore the exceptionally vague Burda instructions and just do it.  The pattern has buttons on the inside of the wide waistband, but I prefer the buttons on the outside, so I used a pair of jeans buttons instead.


The plain white tee is the Elise Tee from Fine Motor Skills.  A great freebie pattern with relaxed versatile style.


With a wide scoop neckline and capped shoulders it sits just right for me, it shows enough skin without having to be hauled back onto my shoulders every five minutes.


I like how it works tucked or untucked.  The scooped he line is a great finishing touch and one of my favourite design features for tops at the moment.  I think I'll make a few more of these in different colours.  I'd love one in a stretchy sequinned fabric too, because sparkles!


So that's my December!  The skirt has become my Green December project too.  I had planned to make a green swimsuit but my injury set all my December projects back a couple of weeks so there will be a couple of swimmers coming up in January!


4 comments:

  1. I love this outfit. The skirt is so cute, I love the wide waistband. I might have to give the free top pattern a try as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love a good freebie, she has a couple of other free patterns as well.

      Delete
  2. whoot - almost at the finish line! such a great skirt, I can see that being extremely versatile within your wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's nearly done! Thanks, it has a already settled into the wardrobe very nicely.

    ReplyDelete