Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sewcial Bee

Last weekend was another productive one!  This time on the personal development and sewing fronts.

First I spent Saturday and Sunday training for and getting my motorbike learner permit!  Finally I can ride my beautiful bike!



Then on Sunday evening and Monday I participated for the first time in a great sewing challenge, the Sewcial Bee.  I spectated during the first Secial Bee last month and was excited to have a go this time around.  The way it works is a theme is chosen by a group member, and everyone has seven hours of sewing time within a 48 hour wondow to complete a garment inspired by that theme.  Simple!  No prizes, no pressure, just encouragement and inspiration. I gave myself a couple of extra guidelines: I had to make something I actually need, and I wanted something with colour blocking.

The theme this round was set by Gida Studio, to create a garment inspired by food.  So here are my Lemon Meringue Pyjamas!


I aimed to keep it simple for my first round, and then got carried away and decided to add some more meringue in the form of a short robe.


This whole outfit is a mash up of patterns.  The shorts are from a swim wear pattern, McCall's 8234, that I picked up from the op shop for 50 cents.  The top is a modified sleeveless version of style 118 from Burda Style Mag 2/2009 and the robe is another Burda Style pattern, 12/2008 127.  All the fabric and elastic trim were from stash too, just under a metre of yellow ribbed jersey and about half of my massive stash of white jersey, as well as a couple of metres of decorative elastic.  The whole outfit was done within five and a half hours over one evening and the next day!

Check out the Sewcial Bee flickr group to see the all fantastic food inspired creations of the other participants!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so gad you joined in - and glad you enjoyed it! I love the pyjamas you made - they look really fun to dance around or lounge in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! I'm looking forward to the next sewcial bee.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Great job on the motorcycle license and the outfit. That is one sweet bike o0!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad the weather is getting better so I can get out on it.

      Delete